Vascular Biology Laboratory
Feng Lan, Professor
Research Interests: Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) were first derived from adult cells through transduction of the pluripotent genes Oct4, Sox2, Klf4 and c-Myc in 2006. This novel technique has become very popular since then, and was awarded the Nobel Prize in 2012. Since cardiovascular cells derived from patient-specific iPSCs harbor gene mutations associated with the pathogenesis of inherited heart diseases, they have been used to study the molecular mechanisms of numerous disorders, such as LQTS, CPVT, DCM, HCM and BTHS. Prof. Lan’s laboratory focuses on applying patient-specific iPSCs to study cardiovascular disease mechanisms, develop new drugs and conduct cell-based therapy.
① “Modeling human hypertrophy cardiomyopathy using induced pluripotent stem cells”. Funded by the 1000 Plan. Support period: 2014–2017.
② “Research on cardiovascular diseases pathogenesis using induced pluripotent stem cells”. Funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China Outstanding Young Scientist Project. Support period: 2015–2017.
① “Genetic etiology of cardiovascular disease”. Funded by the Beijing Collaborative Innovative Research Center for Cardiovascular Diseases.
SCI papers published in the past five years:
1. Wang Y#, Liang P#, Lan F#, Wu H#, Lisowski L, Gu M, Hu S, Kay M, Urnov F, Shinnawi R, Gold J, Gepstein L, Wu J. Genome Editing of Isogenic Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Recapitulates Long QT PhenotypeJ Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;64 (5), 451-459
2. Navarette E#, Liang P#, Lan F#, Sanchez-Freire V, Simmons C, Gong T, Arun Sharma A, Burridge P, Patolla B, Lee AS, Wu H, Beygui R, Wu S, Robbins R, Bers D, Wu JC*. Screening Adverse Drug-Induced Arrhythmia Events Using Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Cardiomyocytes and Low-Impedance Microelectrode Arrays. Circulation. 2013;128:S3-13
3. Liang P#, Lan F#, Lee AS#, Gong T, Sanchez-Freire V, Wang Y, Nguyen PK , Bers DM, Robbins RC, Wu JC.Drug Screening Using a Library of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Cardiomyocytes Reveals Disease Specific Patterns of Cardiotoxicity Circulation.2013;127:1677-1691
4. Lan F#, Lee AS#, Liang P#, Sanchez-Freire V, Nguyen PK , Wang L, Han L, Yen M, Wang Y, Sun N, Abilez OJ, Navarrete EG, Wheeler M, Lewis R, Yamaguchi Y, Ashley EA, Bers DM, Robbins RC, Longaker MT, Wu JC. Abnormal Calcium Handling Properties Underlie Familial Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Pathology in Patient-Specific Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. CellStem Cell. 2013;12:101-113.
5. Lan F#, Liu J#, Narsinh KH, Hu S, Han L, Lee AS, Karow M, Nguyen PK, Nag D, Calos MP, Robbins RC, Wu JC. Safe genetic modification of cardiac stem cells using a site-specific integration technique. Circulation. 2012;126:S20-28
6. Liu J#, Narsinh KH#, Lan F#, Wang L, Nguyen PK, Hu S, Lee A, Han L, Gong Y, Huang M, Nag D, Rosenberg J, Chouldechova A, Robbins RC, Wu JC. Early stem cell engraftment predicts late cardiac functional recovery: Preclinical insights from molecular imaging. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012;5:481-490
7. Lu WJ#, Lan F#, He Q, Lee A, Tang CZ, Dong L, Lan B, Ma X, Wu JC, Shen L. Inducible expression of stem cell associated intermediate filament nestin reveals an important role in glioblastoma carcinogenesis. Int J Cancer. 2011;128:343-351